Vienna Pop & Jazz Choir
Vienna Pop & Jazz Choir
This choir is for singers who want to make music at the highest stage. Our goal is to perform high-quality arrangements and songs with beatboxing/vocal percussion and to become established nationally and internationally. Vienna Pop & Jazz Choir performs at various vocal festivals and is eager to regularly work with other well-respected choirs in this genre. In this way, the singers of this choir have the chance to travel together, to advance musically, to connect with other choirs and artists and to have fun and create a community which respects each other. This choir is a choir out of the ordinary!
It is our vision to regularly produce our own songs and to constantly expand our musical spectrum with new facets. This includes working with artists and bands of different styles as well as writing our own songs and arrangements. In short: Choir “out of the box”!
We take care to comply with security measures regarding the corona virus during our concerts and rehearsals. The “3G” rule applies at all our rehearsals.
Due to the pandemic, we have moved our summer concert from the 11th of June to the 16th of October. It will take place at the Ankersaal. Tickets will be available from the end of August onwards over Eventbrite.
Therefore, the winter semester 2021 begins on Monday, the 18th of October 2021.
We have the following activities planned:
- V.O.I.C.E winter concert on the 11th of December 2021 in the Lorely Saal – should the concert not take place due to corona, a different project will be organized (e.g. flash mob or recording project/music video).
- The repertoire is a colorful mix of songs, including songs like Miracles and Winter Song.
- You can also look forward to things like community events such as choir weekends, parties, workshops and much more.
Auditions / Dates
You can now apply for the winter semester 2021/22. The application period ends on the 17. October 2021. When applying, pick an audition slot and prepare two songs of different styles (e.G. a soft ballad and a groovy energetic song). Whether you sing the song a-cappella or accompanied by an instrument (there will be a piano on site) or a karaoke-version of a song (phone/bluetooth box) is up to you. Afterwards, we will do two vocal exercises, as well as an exercise on singing from sheet music, and decide together, which register you will be assigned to (soprano 1-2, alto 1-2, tenor 1-2, bass 1-2). You can find a presentation on the audition procedure in this video as well as on Soundcloud.
We’re looking forward to seeing you!
Conductor: Mag. Karin Wagner
Rehearsals: Wednesday, 7-8:45 pm
Location: Musikgymnasium Wien, Neustiftgasse 95-99, 1070 Vienna
Free spots: 2x Tenors; 2x (Low) Bass
What we offer you:
- Versatile Pop & Jazz-Repertoire – self-made songs & arrangements, high-quality a-Cappella covers,…
- Focus on a-Cappella performances + vocal percussion
- Constitutive work with a consistent group – limited choirspots!
- Production of music videos
- Professional sound and video recording
- Concerts with professional staging, sound- and light engineering
- Cooperations with national and international well-respected artists and bands
- Concert trips to other countries
- Performances and visits of national and international festivals
- Reduced prices for our Workshops
- Community & platform for vocal Pop& Jazz in every possible way
Prerequisites for attending:
- Experience as a singer – it does not matter whether you’ve been in a choir, an ensemble, a band or have sung solo
- Willingness to study the songs yourself at home (with an online learning file)
- Motivation to advance as a singer and to participate in different workshops (Improvisation, Vocal percussion, Rhythm & Groove,…)
- Commitment to attend more than 80 percent of rehearsals
- Team spirit & sense of community
- Willingness to attend at 1-2 concert trips of several days‘ duration per year
- To put 2-3 hours of time into studying at home (learning notes, listening to recordings, trying out different sounds and timbre, doing exercises, …)